Journey to the White Continent

Antarctica.

It always seemed so unattainable to me. But after two days at sea, and a year of anticipation, I was mesmerized when we first caught sight of a few rocks off Elephant Island through the thick fog – harbingers of our imminent arrival on the fabled White Continent. There is no wilder place on Earth, nowhere more remote, more inhospitable.

And as I found out over the six weeks following that moment in early January 2017, you’d be hard-pressed as a photographer to find another location on the planet that is more overwhelming. The photo opportunities just kept on coming, and I’ll never forget the sense of remoteness, the way life thrived on a whole other level, and the scale of the land down there. I’m thankful for One Ocean Expeditions for bringing me on board.

Amazingly, I managed to underestimate how many photographs I would take on the trip. When I returned home from the White Continent, the hard drives were filled to the brim, and between test shots, time-lapses, bracketed sequences and such, I came home with 40,000 files! I’m just starting to put a dent into all that material, but I would like to share some of the early results with you.

Antarctica is a place that will stay with me forever, and I very much look forward to revisiting my experience there through the thousands of photographs. I hope you enjoy the sneak peek!

Click on any image to enlarge and start the slideshow.

92 Responses to “Journey to the White Continent”

1. Laugel Chris

Quelle expérience extraordinaire vous avez dû vivre ! Vos photos sont absolument magnifiques comme toujours …

2. John

Wonderful images. I enjoyed them all. I’ve had that itch to travel to Antartica for a few years now. I hope to be able to bend your ear a bit more about Antartica when I attend your workshop at Lake Louise in the fall. Keep posting those images. 🙂

3. kareninspirational.com

Wow! Breathtaking pictures, most of them were just serene. How can an environment be so stunningly beautiful yet hazardous? These ‘re truly beautiful pictures. The picture with the sunrise background and the three penguins stole my heart. Thanks for sharing- author.

4. RahulYuvi

Well I am really falling short of adjectives to describe your wonderful post..There can’t be anything more beautiful than ANTARCTICA ! Hats off to your photography !!

5. Natasha

Mind blowing stuff Paul. I’m glad I stumbled upon your blog. Thank you.

6. Susan W Goldstein

These photographs are so captivating, the colors so hallucinatory brilliant and crisp. They are images that plant themselves in your brain and never leave.

7. Sarah

Amazing photos!! Just stunning! Both the North and South Pole are on the list of places I want to visit, and these photos have reminded me of why. Beautiful.

8. curiouskidaa

Beautiful place… Amazingly captured nature’s place…. Would love to visit this place once in a life…

9. Veronika.Srna

Wow. Stunning. The photos are phenomenal. Congrats! It’s our dream too. So far, we just made it to Ushuaia 🙂

10. kareninspirational.com

Breathtaking pictures! All of them are simply serene and beautiful. That picture of the three penguins with a sunrise background just stole my heart, so lovely. Thanks for sharing- author

11. samcupp

Absolutely breath taking Paul. You are an inspiration.

12. exploringmycalifornia

Stunning photos! They are perfectly composed and they give a sense of true isolation and lost beauty. Makes me want to pack my bags and go visit the end of the world.

13. Domesticated Paradise

WOW I LOVED THIS! AMAzing- please check out my blog too!

14. iwannabealady

I’ve gone nowhere as exotic as this and have come back with more photos then I know what to do with. So I’m sure you’re overwhelmed! I think it’s lovely how you start this post with “Antarctica always seemed unattainable to me.” Because there you are. You made it. It’s inspiring. Of course, your photos are beautiful. The clear cut line of white ice and black water with the solitary penguin is my favorite.

15. Wild Wild Basch

These photos are astonishing! Incredible photographs. Were all of these shot on Elephant Island? I am googling it up. Kind regards!

16. bestofthebestsubjectively

Antarctica is a dream of mine, very nice photos and blog entry. I have been focused on the Arctic regions for a good 5 years now, with only Greenland and the north of Canada left to go. One of my heroes is Roald Amundsen so you can imagine I need to complete my explorations in my lifetime. Have you been to Svalbard yet or anywhere in Arctic Norway, Sweden or Finland ? These have been my main focus for a few years now, mostly for the Arctic environment but also to better my Aurora photography. Welcome to Finland anytime ! Maybe we can meet up for a photo expedition some time

• Paul Zizka

Thanks so much. I hope you make it down there. I absolutely love Greenland. I have been to Svalbard, another breathtaking place and I recently visited the Faroe Islands – highly recommend!
      All the best with your adventures.

• Paul Zizka

Ha ha thanks so much. Slowly making my way through them!

17. Dacian

Amazing times 100! Beautiful photos, amazing place!
    I’d love to be able to visit myself!
    And I think one of the factors enhancing the experience is the fact that it’s so isolated and so unspoiled! Let’s hope it stays like that!
    Thanks for letting us enjoy those marvellous photos!

18. hikeminded

Wow! This pictures are wonderful. The light! and the structures! And I especially like the personalities of the penguins 🙂

19. Kim Ralls

Fantastic images; I love the one of the penguin on the edge of the ice shelf; so simple, yet so moving.

20. Hike2Trails

Wow amazing photos and an experience – love the three penguins shot, great capture! Thank you for sharing!

21. Amanda

Incredible view in some of these photos; the one with the whales & the sunset is unreal

22. Kate S

It sounds like an amazing adventure. I love the anticipation to an exciting trip. The preparation, the expectation, the research to make it all perfect. And after all that, once you get there you can’t quite believe it… Hope I get to be as lucky as you and get to see this amazing place. Your photos are so incredible… I can imagine that being there is a life changing experience. Thanks for sharing.

23. Rhema Peñaflor

Breathtaking photos! I love the symmetry and the composition of these pics. I’m sure you still got more of those from your thousands shot from the expedition. Would like to see more. 😃

24. ahappyeverything

Fall and spring are my favorite seasons. I travel during this time because it’s not hot and crowded. I know I will not see Antartica but I travelled with you in your photos. I will follow you.