Yet Another Minnewanka Light Show

I spent another magical night yesterday at Lake Minnewanka watching the aurora dance. As some of you may know, I tend to end up there regularly when the data looks good and the northern lights seem likely to make an appearance. They sure did that last night. Two solid hours of blues, greens and purples. The Canadian Rockies have been blessed by unusually warm weather as of late, and a fellow photographer and I were able to find open water at the Lake’s outlet, allowing for fine reflections of the celestial display. Here are a few images from last night, along with a behind-the-scenes shot. Excitement took over and I spent about an hour standing IN Lake Minnewanka (with the camera precariously close to the water’s surface) in order to get as much sky and reflection as possible in the photographs. It was more than worth it. For those of you interested in prints, please click here. Thank you for visiting and commenting.

Celestial Symmetry I, Lake Minnewanka, Banff National Park.

Celestial Symmetry II, Lake Minnewanka, Banff National Park.

Celestial Symmetry III, Lake Minnewanka, Banff National Park.

Celestial Symmetry IV, Lake Minnewanka, Banff National Park.

Behind the scenes shot (excuse the quality). I admit having the trip neck-deep in the water with blades of ice floating around was a little stressful…

23 Responses to “Yet Another Minnewanka Light Show”

1. Paul Zizka

Thanks everyone. Luke, all of the above were taken at 20 to 30 seconds.

2. Jordan Cantelo

Paul you have some of the most magnificent mountain photography I know of. I lived in Banff for just under a year and I visit your page every time I want to re-visit the area. I don’t know how many times I have watched “mountains in motion” 🙂
    Your photography is just incredible.

• Paul Zizka

Thanks so much Jordan. Your support is much appreciated. Full release of Mountains In Motion is coming this fall. The crew is pretty excited!

• Jordan Cantelo

excellent. My fiance and I are looking forward to it with much anticipation.
        I was made aware of your work by a friend of mine, who I think you met in Banff, Cameron Sharpe. Keep up the awesome work mate.

• Paul Zizka

Singapore from what I see, eh? You’ll have to take a trip up this way sometime. Let me know if you do!

• Paul Zizka

Thank you Karen. I look forward to following your blog. 🙂

3. ciel.w (Shoko Nimura)

Hello,I have painted a picture that look like your photo,Septmber last year! I have not been to Canada, and I didn’t know Lake Minnewanka.Very surprised!

4. ken sklute

Great images. A two hour show is an awesome show. I was in Norway in March and was treated to a 2.5, 1.5 and 45 minute show three nights in a row.
    I may get to meet you this week, if you are around. My buddy John Bonner suggested that I look you up.

5. Avis

Your way of explaining the whole thing in this post
    is in fact pleasant, every one be able to without difficulty understand it, Thanks a
    lot.

6. Aubrey Buberniak

I asked for your book for Christmas 🙂

Although your pictures are stunning, I wish so badly to be able to see this with my own eyes one day. We live in the eastern side of the States, but I’ll be back that way one day. I wish I could come with you on an adventure, your life sounds magical.

• Paul Zizka

Thanks so much for your kind words Aubrey. Hope you get the book 🙂 And of course, I hope you can see the Canadian Rockies in person one day. Have a wonderful Christmas!